Author Topic: E10 petrol  (Read 7810 times)

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
Re: E10 petrol
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2021, 07:11:54 AM »
One of my mates has a lot of two stroke Kawasaki triples and he bleeds the fuel & oil systems down over winter so they are completely dry. On his four stroke bikes he always tops the tank up and adds fuel stabiliser. Curious, we all have our winter rituals.
Talking Danish Pastry since 1965...

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2021, 10:00:13 PM »
Cor I would love lots of Kawasaki triples I had a KH 250 back in the day wish I had it now  :)))

I did manage to go put on the KTM after work for a few miles as it was 14 degrees to use up some of the E10 petrol  :thumb:
I have been out with my mate tonight and told him about trying to use the petrol up he suggested that I syphon the petrol out completely then run them until they stop?

As my wife has a petrol car that she uses daily I thought I could put the E10 petrol in there ?

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2021, 06:42:01 AM »
Not a bad plan, I assume the fuel injection will be self-priming so it should just re-pressurise itself in the spring ? I don't think I've ran a fuel injected bike out of fuel now I come to think about it. I know diesels can be the devils work to re-prime if they run dry but I've not heard anything bad about FI ?

Offline Mick B

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2021, 11:50:46 AM »
Do you think there's any concern of the Cinnamon Swirle in the bottom of the tank getting disturbed too much if you empty the tank? I try to fill mine, a good bit, before any indication comes on to say it's low.
In fact I've been thinking (dangerous I Know) that I might have to have an extra trip out on mine now, one to get the fuel a bit lower, fill with 'super', then another to get rid of half that, ready to re-fill with 'super' before I put the stabiliser in.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2021, 03:01:31 PM »
Play it safe, Mick. Breakfast at home.

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2021, 06:15:38 PM »
I'm always wary of disturbing the lower contents of a fuel tank. I ran an old Z1000 dry once and it never ran right again ! It was always bunging one or more of the carbs up and I just couldn't get the tank clean despite it looking clean.

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2021, 04:20:42 PM »
 Mick B and NorthumBryan    that is a great shout and makes perfect sense   :thumb:

What I think I will do is syphon some out but leave 1 or 2 bars then fill with premium fuel and stabiliser.

Thank you for you input  :thumb:

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2021, 06:24:39 PM »
yesterday after work I went to find a garage that sold some premium petrol I ended up driving 9 miles to find one that didn’t only sell E10 & Diesel ( I do live in the sticks) I found a BP and got my 20 litre Jerry can out and was robbed of £30 at £165.9 per litre ( how much !!!!!)

To add insult to injury I found that the Jerry can no longer sealed and I had to drive home as careful as I could but quite a bit spilled out so now I have a car that smells so strongly of petrol and at £165.9 per litre I could have cried.

Anyway I used the premium petrol to top up both the KTM & the B-King and will go out with again with a few standard plastic cans and get robbed again !!!!

Offline Mick B

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2021, 09:15:37 PM »
Went out today to run off the last of the E10 in the tank. Filled it up with Esso Synergy Supreme +99 & got robbed for 158.9 litre!!! (I am now happy I'm not the only one that got caught (Asmith  :shy:0).
However I had a little ride after filling up & I found that my mpg went up from around 60mpg ('normal riding' earlier) to around 70mpg! (on the display).
I had a 'little moment' on a bit of dual carriageway (a private road of course) where I pushed it a bit and held it at 6k rpm for a mile or so in 6th & saw 65mpg on the display. I don't think the extra mpg will account for the extra £'s per litre but I also thought the bike felt better, so now it's decision time.....do I keep running on it or save my hard earned?

The next thing I need to ask is do I put the additive in with this petrol. Reading the write ups it sounds as though it may not be needed.  Plus, I'm sure the bike wont stand for more than a a couple of months max. before it gets a run. That would be at least 1/2 a tank or more, & of course I would fill up with a 'premium' petrol.   

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2021, 03:32:07 PM »
Mick B……… now that is very interesting that your bike seemed to run better I am not surprised really, but as you said do we bite the bullet and start to run on the premium fuel

Myself the Scrooge in me says no lol….. but never say never.

As with your question about the additive I would think it will not be needed while using the oh so expensive premium fuel
Good luck with it all     :thumb:

Offline Mick B

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2021, 08:47:31 PM »
It's odd. A couple of years ago I did a little test, 3 tanks of what was E5, 3 tanks of premium & 3 tanks of supermarket petrol (E5) and just did my normal things on the bike. I didn't think there was much difference between them all. A couple of mpg more on the premium, and it was a couple, but I didn't think there was anything different about the 'feel' of the engine.
However with that Esso stuff I was pretty sure I felt a difference & not just with the mpg.

Interestingly since I've been using E10, the good lady has asked, on a couple of occasions, "what gear are you in?" and when I said "why" she has responded that she thought the bike was vibrating more than it does for the speed we were 'cruising' at. (I hadn't noticed anything)
She hasn't been on the back since I filled up the other day so I'm not going to tell her about my thoughts & see if she mentions it again.  vrrr

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2021, 09:28:16 PM »
A few years ago I was out on the b-king and needed some fuel and went in to a shell garage and the unleaded pumps were all out of order so I had to fill up with the shell premium at the time ( I cannot remember the name ) but it was more money per litre I didn’t think anything at the time but I remember the ride home the bike seemed much more responsive.

No I have had the b-king 10 years now and bought it new, when I next use it I will see how it rides with the premium fuel in.

And the same with the KTM I have only used E10 in it so far but now it is full with the premium I will see how that rides.

As I said in my previous post I will take some cans to fill with premium for the other bikes  but I will go and find a Esso garage and try there good stuff.

With the Triumph Trophy I will turn the fuel off after topping up then drain the carbs down.

It will be interesting to see if your wife notices any difference when she is next on the back maybe you will let us know ?

Offline Mick B

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2021, 09:43:26 AM »
 :thumb:

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2021, 12:22:56 PM »
Watching this with interest, salt on the roads in Northumberland now after last nights heavy frost (boo) so I'll probably not be out now until next year.

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2021, 06:23:28 PM »
I was saying to my wife only today as there were lots of bikes out as  the weather here was 14 degrees and bone dry and still no sign of salt and how it was typical that I was not able to ride at the moment 😩😩

So I feel for you NorthumBryan  😩