Author Topic: Not another test ride ?  (Read 1254 times)

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
Not another test ride ?
« on: July 29, 2022, 05:38:49 PM »
You guessed it, I'm taking a new Tigger 1200 out on the 6th of August. I've blagged a double slot (quite an achievement at Triumph Newcastle) so I've got a chance to really compare it to the 'old' Tigger. Watch this space.
Talking Danish Pastry since 1965...

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
Re: Not another test ride ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 05:44:51 PM »
That’s great well done for getting a double slot as well :thumb:
Looking forward to your thoughts & feedback  :thumb:

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 10:28:00 AM »
I shall provide a comprehensive review and if I remember I'll take a picture or two. I'm hoping to get them side by side at the dealers as a comparison.

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 10:50:21 AM »
 :thumb: yes side by side picture would be great 😀

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 05:21:38 PM »
A Sleepless night for you then Northumbryan  lol lol

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 06:43:13 PM »
Giddy with excitement... Actually it's sopping wet up here after a few spells of biblical rain today. It's supposed to be dry tomorrow according to the weatherman.

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 10:46:38 PM »
🤞 it’s dry for you tomorrow😀      Not to rub it in but for us down here it has been baking🥵 no rain for a month or more the Garden is like a desert and even the hedge rows are wilting.

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 02:37:55 PM »
Well, that was an interesting test ride. I managed to blag a double slot so I could have the bike for two hours, a feat not often achieved at Triumph Newcastle I can tell you. Firstly, the new Tigger is a LOT lighter than my model, it feels more like a 650 V-Strom than a 1200. Very impressive and a good start. The two side-by-side are quite similar but the new Tigger has a much higher pillion seat making it a bit of a stretch to get on (33" inside leg too). Once onboard it is very familiar with near identical switchgear and a slightly newer TFT dash, but I much prefer my versions dash layout better. Starting it up and you notice the first difference, the engine is very gruff at tickover and feels and sounds more like a V twin. On the move and the lighter weight makes it a joy to ride in traffic and it has a very easy, slightly positive turn in. Once set in a corner it holds a line well and you can turn in even tighter if you need to without protest, acres of ground clearance too. I didn't find the suspension to be as good as on my version, maybe the lack of weight but it felt a bit 'choppy' and not as plush as on mine. I did have a good play with the settings but it never felt as together as the suspension does on the Gen 3 Tigger, in my opinion anyway. The brakes at the front are amazing and you can stop this thing on a 10p piece, very good feel with massive, but progressive power - top marks Brembo. The rear felt the same as my current tiger and was OK but nothing startling. The standard screen, like all standard screens I've ever tried was very poor but I'm sure would be easily fixed with a trip to see Mr MRA or Mrs Powerbronze. The riding position was, not too surprisingly, very similar to my tiger but as I've tweaked the ergo's on mine not quite as comfy but a set of handlebar spacers would sort that.

On the road the new engine is lively, masses of low down grunt, a bulging midrange and it still has a flourish at the top end, very impressive. The gearbox and quickshifter are the work of a genius and even better than the set up on my tiger (just, but credit where it's due) and a far cry from the horrible offering on the GSA I rode a few weeks ago. If it all sounds like I've fallen in love with the new model and gone and bought one, well it's not that simple.

You see, there is a fly, nay elephant in the ointment called vibration. Within 20 mins of setting off I had to pull in to get some blood back in my fingers. I have never experienced vibration like this on any bike before, from Guzzi's, big singles, rattly 2 strokes nothing this side of a whacker plate vibrates like a 2022 Tiger! On the way back to the dealers (after only 35 mins) I had the cruise control set so I could hold on to the plastics around the tank as it was the only bit of the bike not vibrating, horrendous. When I got back to the shop I was numb to the elbows and it took me a good 20mins to sort myself out after getting off. The dealer was not terribly surprised and blamed my current model for being 'too smooth' a curse, clearly. The new 'T' plane crank is a disaster and whoever signed that off at Triumph should be taken out the back and dispatched in a humane manner... So it looks like I shall be hanging on to the tigger for the foreseeable future  :thumb:

Pics below -

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 05:39:41 PM »
Thank you for a very comprehensive test ride review, some high points & as you thought some low points, the vibration is very worrying and for the dealer to say he wasn’t surprised and your current model being “ too smooth”  :wtf:
I am not surprised that you will be keeping your very much superior Tigger  :thumb: