Author Topic: Oh no, test ride on Saturday...  (Read 1176 times)

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
Oh no, test ride on Saturday...
« on: July 21, 2022, 04:24:23 PM »
Despite liking my Triumph Tiger, it's always good to see what else is out there. So, on Saturday I'm taking a BMW R1250GSA out for a spin. I tried a sit on the standard GS last weekend but it's feels really small under me and the adventure feels more of a 'fit' (I'm not little at 6' 21/2" and 18 1/2 stone, OK 19...). I took an earlier model adventure out in 2008 and hated it ! It had flat, gutless power delivery, a numb front end and shocking weather protection with a very noisy fairing. However, times have changed and a few people I have spoken to have suggested the latest model has addressed a lot if not all of these issues. And I'm 14 years older now. Fingers crossed I don't like it or it could get very expensive...
Talking Danish Pastry since 1965...

Online Asmith61

• View Profile
Re: Oh no, test ride on Saturday...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 06:26:41 PM »
 lol Love a test ride I am always wary about doing this as like you said if I like the bike I normally buy it  lol
But always good to see what’s about though, so hope you hate every minute of the test ride  vrrr
But if you really like the way it rides and feel happy with it and you can afford it then go for it the way i think is your a long time dead  :whistle:

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 07:15:03 PM »
You are not wrong, a long time looking at the coffin lid as my grandad used to say  lol

Offline Mick B

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 01:18:42 PM »
One of the reasons I don't take anything out for a test ride! I might like it & end up costing more than I should be spending on a bit of fun? Although the 'long time dead' is a good point ....... & it's getting closer!!  :old:
The good lady & myself sat on the latest V-Strom 1050XT (got a 650) & luckily neither of us liked it. Looks a good bike & the reports of the engine are good but the room for the two of us felt so much less than on the 650 & the panniers were that high they pushed into the wife's thighs, (I suppose aftermarket panniers might sort that though).
The salesman was really keen for us to take a rest ride on it but we politely declined & I still have the money in the bank.  :thumb:

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 05:11:04 PM »
It's a good point about the space on the bike, most new bikes seem to be getting ever shorter seats with less & less room for pillions.

Online Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 12:42:03 PM »
Hope todays test Ride is horrible and you hate it and you don’t get to spend your hard earned  lol.

:popcorn:

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 05:52:14 PM »
Well that was an interesting test ride. The GSA has come a LONG way since my last test ride way back in 2008. The motor is now an absolute peach and revs like a horizontally opposed twin shouldn't, with loads of grunt everywhere. The goofy indicators are gone, the suspension is remarkably normal and rides very smoothly and the brakes are mega - best rear brake I've ever used. It's comfy, the riding position is OK and could be easily tweaked with a set of bar raisers to be near perfect and the seat is very comfortable. The screen is way too small for me, like all bikes so I can forgive it that. Again, and aftermarket option will (should) sort that out as there are literally hundreds out there. If you think this is all going too good to be true, well there is a fly in the ointment. It's the gearbox, a bit notchy on the way up, horrific on the way down. The 'shift assist' isn't very good and not a patch on the Triumphs. Downshifts require use of the clutch (it is an up & down quickshifter) and a hefty stamp. This will get tiresome compared to the silky smooth Triumph gearbox and shift action. I have been offered a longer test ride rather than just two hours so I may take them up on that to see if things improve with time ? As it stands the tigger is going nowhere !

Pic of the big hector in triple black -

Online Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 09:48:28 AM »
Glad you enjoyed your test ride, sounded like it was OK apart from the gearbox, as others have said the gearbox may free up with more use ?
As they have offered a longer test ride good idea to take them up on there offer and see how that goes ?
I have seen that Triumph have been Advertising the new Tiger 1200 on Television and looks very Good, and that is also a very good reason to take the new Tiger 1200 out for a test ride?
Very interested in finding out your views after riding both bikes  :thumb:

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 12:00:20 PM »
I'll get my bottom on a few seats over the next few weeks I think. Happy with the tigger and really enjoyed riding it home.

Online Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 03:43:56 PM »
 :thumb: