Author Topic: Not been well  (Read 2915 times)

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
Not been well
« on: June 12, 2023, 11:02:53 AM »
it's a week ago that I rang the doctor and said 'I've been having these minor pains in my shoulders and chest since I had a tooth removed, do you think it's related'? The doc said 'get to the A&E Hospital at Cramlington ASAP, I think you're going to have a heart attack'. She was nearly right - I'd already has one! So after a week of prodding, poking & tests it shows I've had a very minor heart attack, but I have no idea when it happened? I was moved to the Freeman Hospital where I had two stents fitted yesterday and then released back home after a few hours with a banging headache (common after the radioactive marker dye).
i feel fine if a little sore and covered in bruises from various needles, the blood thinners have made me bruise way more easily than normal. I've even been out an watered all the pots in the garden  this morning. I have a months restriction on driving (July the 10th is the magic day) and a months sick note to go with it. I'm taking this as a fresh start in life, chapter 2 if you will as I've had far too long eating too much, drinking too much and exercising too little...
But I'm still here and still smiling  :)))
Talking Danish Pastry since 1965...

Offline Nagasaki

• Smeg Head
    • View Profile
Re: Not been well
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 01:45:19 AM »
Glad your ok.

I have had a heart attack. STEMI, full blockage of an artery. I had 3 stents put in. 2 a few days after the heart attack. Why they waited is beyond me but I did feel mostly ok apart from my chest KILLING ME for 2 days.... A month later I had to go back for a 3rd stent. I got 6 weeks off work for it  :))) Bit extreme to get time off work  lol

My HA was a side affect of my Type 2 Diabetus.

Fun times eh?

Theres a whole story behind mine if anyone wants to hear the joys.

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 08:20:31 AM »
I've not got anything much better to do for a month- crack on!

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 08:37:48 AM »
NorthumBryan OMG so sorry to hear this 😱

So glad it was only a minor one 🙏🏻 and yes definitely take it as a fresh start in life all the best mate 👍

Nagasaki sorry to hear of your heart Attack as well 😱
I have type 2 diabetes and I am on blood thinners as I have AF.

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 03:12:15 PM »
Cheers mate, really appreciated  :thumb:

Offline MadisonMotorsportUK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 05:43:33 PM »
Damn! Glad you're OK.  vrrr
Madison Motorsport UK

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 10:07:35 PM »
Cheers  :thumb:

Offline Nagasaki

• Smeg Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 02:44:33 AM »
I've not got anything much better to do for a month- crack on!

Ok then!

Grab a cuppa :)
 :campfire:

Back in 2016, June 4th on a Warm Saturday night I was fast asleep. It was approching time to get up and get ready for the night shift in a hotel reception.

But before my alarm could wake me I was awoken by a very sharp pain in the top middle of my chest, right below my neck.
How odd, I thought.. It was painful enough for me to call work and say I was not going to make it in for my shift.

Soon after the phone call I decided to call NHS Direct. I did not feel unwell apart from the pain in my chest, Almost like someone had stabbed me with a hot knife.

I went downstairs to get the phone, My housemate did a double take at me and asked "Are you ok?" Not sure I replied. Why? "Well, your whiter than a sheet!" I looked down at my hands to see that I was indeed lacking in colour. My hands and arms where as white as a sheet of paper or a fluffy cloud. It was now I thought something was very wrong.

okokok thats enough of that  lol

ANYWAY

I called NHS Direct and I was told it was propably just heart burn... HEART BURN?! They said if I was still worried I should call my out of hours GP, So I did but sadly no one answered. It just rang and rang. By this point the pain had gone, I was looking more saturated so thought, Ok Food then I can head into work. I stuffed my face and before I could finish... BAM! the same chest pain hit me like a train.

I thought, stuff calling again. Ill take my self to A&E. So, I jumped on the bike and rode 8 miles or so to Wrexham Hospital. Once Inside and explaining why I was there my ass cheecks barely hit the seat before I was called in to be looked at.

A quick chat with a nurse, I was taken back and had an ECG that showed I was indeed having a heart attack. A quick blood test also confirmed it.

I feel very let down by the NHS Direct team that day. Things could of gone much worse!

I was in the Acute Cardiac Ward at Wrexham Hospital for Saturday and Sunday, Tranfered to Glan Clwyd Hospital on Monday. I stayed the night and on Tuesday I had 2 dissolvable stents put in and I had to go back 1 month later for a 3rd. Why they didnt just do all three at the same time, I have no idea. I was home Tuesday or Wednesday Im not sure.

When I think back to the moths and weeks before, I was very very tired at work and after, Not at all. So there were signs but quite vauge.

I do remember feeling instantly better after the stents were put in, Like as soon  as I was off the bed and into the wheel chair I felt so much better. More alert and awake.

I don't know about you but the pain from the heart attack for the 2 days I was in Wrexham was just insane. My chest felt like it was on fire. I was told that the sack around the heart gets inflammed and thats what hurts. But sadly the only medication that can help is anti-inflamitories and since I was on blood thinners I could not have any. They tried gving me morphine but it didnt do anything to me at all.

I have had a few scared over the years with chest pain but its always just been angina. Also, GTN spray's... taste like arse.

Good luck with your rehab and enjoy the time off!

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 08:10:54 AM »
That is an interesting tale and you're not the first I've heard of that have been let down by NHS direct. It's operated by poorly trained staff using a tick-box system, the advice they give is only as good as the info they get. So, if they get a case like your's or mine where very few classic heart attack symptoms are showing it can lead to the wrong diagnosis.

I'm just pleased you're out the other side and doing OK, that's the main thing after all  :thumb:

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 03:53:57 PM »
The bruising around where the two stent's were inserted is starting to get rather colourful...

Offline Asmith61

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 09:38:36 PM »
Wow that’s some bruising, I had no idea where they inserted the stents ?

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2023, 05:27:41 PM »
They used to go in the leg, but that's quite rare these days. It's usually in the wrist with just local anesthetic.

Offline Nagasaki

• Smeg Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2023, 01:41:26 AM »
My 3rd stent was done via the leg, not a fun time i can tell you.

My first 2 was via the wrist. My wirst was not as colourfull xD

Offline NorthumBryan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2023, 09:01:46 AM »
A near identical reflection and you had the inflatable cuff too, I was pleased to get that thing off...

Offline Nagasaki

• Smeg Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 03:55:42 AM »

Was a bit on the tight side wasn't it lol